Hi world! The worst semester of my life just ended about 48 hours ago (Blogging during finals? Do people actually do that? Please teach me your secrets if you do.). I actually woke up this morning with this crazy unsettling thought in my head that I had to go and study more for finals. I smiled when I realized I didn't.
Eggnog. I went through about 19 Christmases without trying it, which is probably a good thing for my waistline but a bad thing for my taste buds. And soul. It tastes like liquidized pudding. Um, yum. I suggest whipping this up for Christmas brunch, or before an intense shopping trip to pick up last minute presents.
6 slices of prefered bread (we used fresh cinnamon toast, oh my god so good)
1 cup eggnog
1/4 tsp nutmeg
pinch of salt
coconut oil or butter, for frying
For the pear and pistachio topping:
1 tbls coconut oil (or butter)
5-6 tbls of natural maple syrup
pinch of sea salt
handful of unsalted pistachios
1. Shave the pears with a knife or vegetable peeler. Pit the pistachios and chop them up roughly.
2. In a bowl, beat together the two eggs with the eggnog. Add in salt and nutmeg. (I would also have added cinnamon here if we weren't using a cinnamon loaf).
3. Heat oil/butter in saucepan over medium heat. Dip the slices of bread into the eggnog mixture and let them fry until just brown.
4. While the toast is frying, heat oil/butter in a separate saucepan over high heat. Add pears and reduce heat to medium until they start to brown. Add the maple syrup with a pinch of salt and reduce the heat to low. Let it reduce for about 5 minutes.
5. Drizzle pear syrup over toast, and top off with chopped pistachios.
6. Watch terrible TV for the rest of the day because finals are over, and you can do this now without feeling guilty. Why have I never watched Gilmore Girls before? I am going to have such an awesome (and productive?) winter break. Happy holidays!